• 4 by 4-inch piece of kombu
• 1/4 cup dried mushrooms, sliced thin, chopped fine
• 3 tablespoons bonita fish flakes
• 1 tablespoon onion flakes
• 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups (approximately) watercress or sorrel
• 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce
Combine seaweed, fish flakes, mushrooms, onions, and water. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, add greens and tamari and cover 2 to 3 minutes. Serve hot.
Variations: add 6 ounces noodles at beginning of cooking; drop in Fish Dumplings when broth boils; add canned or freeze-dried shrimp along with greens.