- More often than not, shelter should be your first priority in a survival situation.
- Remember to look for natural shelters first! Caves, overhangs, thick brush.
A good shelter has the following Elements:
- a Heat source
- No Drafts!
- is Small (takes less time, and is easier to heat)
- promotes Conservation (take only what you need, use dead material, dismantle when no longer needed)
Regarding Location, a good shelter is:
- Protected from weather
- Dry, well drained, away from water
- Situated with open southern exposure, door facing east
- Nearby an abundance of material
- Fire safe
- Free from other natural hazards
If there is no natural shelter available, create a Debris Hut