A basic recipe with many options: soup, cereal, one-pot meal, pudding, or patties.
• 1/2 cup rolled oats
• 1/2 cup rolled wheat
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons soy grits
• 2 to 4 cups water
• 1 tablespoon oil or butter (optional)
Combine ingredients and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Try using rolled rye, corn, barley, or other grains instead of oats or wheat.
For Cereal #1, add to Basic Recipe any or all of the following to taste:
• raisins or other dried fruit
• nuts or seeds
• wheat germ flakes
• milk powder
Combine ingredients in 2 cups water, saving milk powder for the last few minutes. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
For Cereal #2, toast Basic Recipe first, and then add 2 cups water and cook for 10 minutes over low fire. Season with soy sauce or sesame salt. A few raisins make a good addition.
For Dessert, follow Cereal #1, adding:
• more milk powder
• allspice, cloves, nutmeg, and/or ginger
• substitute molasses or maple syrup for honey
For Soup, follow Basic Recipe and season with any of the following combinations, according to taste:
• onion, garlic, wild greens, parsley, bay leaf
•tomato powder, miso, cumin, oregano
• raisins, apricots, curry powder, ginger, coriander
• vegetable-seasoned broth powder, dehydrated or frees-dried vegetables, thyme, marjoram, sage, tamari soy sauce
• cheese, milk powder, sweet basil
Combine desired ingredients with 4 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, and Basic Recipe. Cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. When using cheese or milk, stir them in during last few minutes.
For One-Pot Meals, add to the Basic Recipe one of the following combinations:
• lentils (precooked for 30 minutes), miso, onions, garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, sage, tomato powder
• noodles, nuts, seeds, savory, chervil, cheese
• millet (precooked for 30 minutes), Parmesan cheese, fish or shrimp
Combine desired ingredients with 3 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt, and Basic Recipe. Cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in cheese at the end, just before serving.
For Patties, use leftover One-Pot Meal, or make a thicker One-Pot Meal recipe and form into patties and fry. Serve with a sauce or gravy.